The Lie . . .
It is so common that we don’t even think about it. It happens every week, probably in every
church; at least the ones I’ve attended.
We do it without even realizing that we do it. We set up or are set up multiple times on any
given Sunday. As a matter of fact, it
has become the normal way of greeting, but most likely it is not a real
question. “Hi, how are you?”
“Hi, how are you?”
The quick and usual answer is, “Good” or “Fine”. Really, is that the truth when saying “Good” or “Fine”?
Is that true, or is it “The lie”? “How are you” is not usually a real question,
it’s a form of greeting.
I am asked that question every week by multiple people and
honestly I’m not sure what to say? Do they really want to know, or are they
just saying “Hi”? Most people expect
to hear, “Good” or “Fine”. But the truth
is that I’m going through challenges, struggles and problems that most people
don’t really want to talk about. If I’d
really tell the truth it gets a little uncomfortable and many people don’t
really know what to say in response. The
truth is that I’m losing my vision and it is becoming a serious problem. The truth is that I have severe hearing loss,
so I’m missing out on conversations and asking people to repeat what they said. The truth is that I’m having multiple
seizures per week, sometimes several in a single day. The truth is that I feel stupid because I
can’t remember even the simple things.
The truth is that I feel more like a burden than a blessing. The truth
is that my physical condition is declining and discouraging. The truth is I don’t have any hope of things
improving unless God would grant me a miracle.
I don’t want to lie.
I want to be honest and real, so I'm learning what to say when asked the question, "How are you?"
· I’m glad to be alive.
· I thank God for …”
· I’m glad that …
* In comparison I’m doing great.
· God has been helping me with …
· I’m glad to be alive.
· I thank God for …”
· I’m glad that …
* In comparison I’m doing great.
· God has been helping me with …
* * I’m doing well in the condition that I’m in.
Sometimes I take the risk and answer …
- The truth is that I’ve been struggling with physical issues.
- The truth is that my cancer treatments are now affecting me.
- The truth is that I need your prayers for . . .
So what are some good options to say so that we don’t set
people up for “The Lie”? Instead we can say ...
·
Good morning, afternoon, evening.
·
I’m glad to see you.
·
I’m glad you are here today.
·
You’re looking good today.
·
I like that outfit.
·
You have a great smile.
·
You’re an encouragement to me.
·
I am grateful for your friendship.
·
I missed you last Sunday, or I missed you at …
·
Etc Etc – you can think of some other good
options.
We
need to be more careful so we don’t set up “The Lie”. Unless you really
care, want to know and have the time to listen, don’t ask, “How are you?”
The truth is that my hope, my confidence, my comfort is in the Lord, Jesus Christ.
The truth is that my hope, my confidence, my comfort is in the Lord, Jesus Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment