Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Good Things In Bad Times



In the difficult, hard, negative or bad times of life that good things become more clear.  I can see good things in bad times. They help to clarify priorities and principles by which I want to live, while I live.  It was in the brain cancer diagnosis and being told that I had less than a year to live that somethings became clear.  They were good for me to see and clarify.  It was in the hardship, the darkest night and the deepest valley that priorities became so clear.  It’s good to be reminded that there are good things in bad times.

·      It is good to be reminded that every day is a gift from God.
I have a deeper awareness that one day I’m going to die and leave this world.  I want to “count my days and make my days count”.  Every new day that God gives me is a gift.

·   It is good to be reminded that family are the most important people in the world.
They are the ones who loved me and really cared about me when I was going through hard times.  It’s family that we’ve wanted to be with for birthday and holidays.  It’s sad that I can treat strangers better than I sometimes treat my family members.

·   It is good to be reminded how important it is to have close friends.
I needed friends that really cared enough to do something about it and they did.  It’s fare to say that in my journey that I have needed friends more than they have needed me.  Close friends have been so helpful and encouraging through the darkest nights and deepest valleys. 

·   It’ s good to be reminded about the importance of giving.
 It has been said that we should, “Do our giving while we’re living so we’re knowing where it’s going”.   I realize that I have so much compared to most of the world.  I want to give more.  I want to invest in eternity by giving to Christian ministries and to those in great need.  Now’s the time!  There are so many needs and I can only give while I am still alive.

·   It is good to be reminded or realize how terrible sin is to a holy God.  
It’s sad that I or we can so easily enjoy for entertainment things for which Jesus had to die.  I want to grow in my walk with Christ.  As I’ve grown closer to God I find that I want to be further away from sin and evil.

·   It is good to be reminded that worshiping God is a key to victory in hard times.
I found that by worshiping the Lord that I received strength, encouragement and hope.  I experienced God's presence and peace when I worshiped Him.  I realized that I was in a "Win - win" scenario". If God healed me, I win.  If I die I will go to be with the Lord, I win.  

·   It’s good to be reminded that knowing Jesus as my personal Savior is the most important thing in this world
With my brain cancer diagnosis there was a greater need to know that I was forgiven, saved, was up to date in my relationship with the Jesus and had the hope of heaven.  I learned to live with a greater desire to be closer to Jesus.  It was good to want to be closer to Jesus. 

I guess that’s why the bible says there are good things in bad times . . .  
Psalm 119:67 “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey Your word.”
Psalm 119:71 “It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn Your decrees.”
James 1:2-4   “Consider it pure joy …whenever you face trials of many kinds … because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete …”


Yes, there are good things in bad times!

No comments:

Post a Comment