Tuesday, April 11, 2017

I want to be a godly man

I Want to be a godly man

When we lived in Denver, CO. we worked with Kingdom Ministries.  One of the fellow itinerants had a son, who he taught that when asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, he would say, “I want to be a godly man!”  Often it brought a smile to our faces, sometimes a heartfelt laugh.  What a great thing to teach your son, to plant that seed in his heart and mind.

On April 7, 2017, The Daily Bread devotional booklet told a story about a man in London who was known to be a saint, a godly man.  So much so that a street was named after him, There was actually a street called or referred to as “That godly man’s street”.

Hum, wouldn’t it be nice to have that kind of reputation?
I have often realized that sometimes I’m not such a godly man.  I have wrestled with thoughts, words, attitudes, even actions that do not match with that kind of reputation.  It’s in that “place” that I realize how much I need God's help.  I have read, quoted and prayed John 15:5 so many, many times as a confession of my need.  Many times before speaking or preaching, I prayed for His help, strength and anointing.  It’s where Jesus said, “Apart from me you can do nothing”.  I have asked God to help me, to do in me what I cannot do for myself.

I have prayed asking God to give me real love for and obedience to Him.  I have asked Him to give me a desire, a hunger to read and study His word.  I have asked Him to give me a desire to spend time with Him in thought and prayer.  I have asked Him to give me a holy hatred for sin and a hunger for His holiness and purity, I've asked Him to help me to see through temptations and to consider the consequences of yielding to those thoughts and temptations. I have asked Him to change the desires and wants of my heart, so that they would honor Him.  I have asked Him to help me to love Rhonda, my family and other people like I should. I have asked Him over and over …because I know that I need Him.

I have read, asked and prayed that verse so many times because I realize that apart from Christ that I can do nothing; absolutely nothing.  I need Him so much, so much more than I even know or understand.

O God, I openly confess my desperate need for You.  I realize that John 15:5 is so true, that I can’t do anything good without your help and strength.  O Lord, do in me what I cannot do for myself, so that I might be a godly man. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment