Purpose . . .
So many times I feel like my life has been shattered, I feel like I’m lost; like I’ve lost my value, my meaning, my purpose. For 28 years I served as a pastor and itinerant evangelist.
August 9, 1992 was the Sunday when everything in my life
changed. After serving as one of two
evangelists for camp meeting that previous week, my last speaking
responsibility was that Sunday morning.
When I got up to speak, after making a few opening comments and prayer,
I began my message. Suddenly the
building began to spin and I yelled out for help. I went into a grandmas seizure and woke up
in the local Chambersburg, PA hospital. The
doctors there did not want to “touch it”, so they transferred me to Baltimore,
MD. One week later, I was told that an egg sized tumor was removed, that I had brain cancer. The news was not
good. I had about 50 weeks to live! This August, 2017, it will be 25 years since
I heard those “death words”.
There is so much to tell about my journey, my experiences,
my story.
But first, I thank God for sparing my life. I thank God for the many, many blessings that
I have received and experienced in the past 25 years. However, now, today, I feel lost. I’ve lost my meaning, my purpose. Why?
What makes me feel so lost, like life seems empty and meaningless?
·
I’m having seizures. Sometimes I go days without having a seizure,
but then I’ll have several seizures in a single day. It makes me angry, like I want to break
things, yell things that should not be said, especially by a Christian.
·
My driver’s license has been taken and I can’t
drive, so now I sit and wait for someone else to ‘get’ me and take me
somewhere; anywhere I want to go. It’s
very humbling.
·
In a recent hearing test, I was told that I have
severe hearing loss which is most likely from the intense radiation treatments
that I went through after my first brain surgery. I thank God for hearing aids, but my hearing
is problematic and getting worse each year.
·
I have severe visual loss. I was told by a specialist that the problem
is not my eyes, but my brain. It has
become very hard to see, especially when trying to read. I am using one eye most of the time to see or watch anything. I’m
squinting or closing one eye to see as best as I can with the other eye.
·
I have severe memory loss. I have short term memory problems which mean
I can remember the years before my brain cancer journey began, but now I don’t
remember what happened since. My life has dropped into the abyss of memory loss. I don’t remember this morning, not to mention
my yesterdays or years. My days are a
vague and a vanishing dream.
In these losses I'm reminded to what Jesus said in Matthew 22:37-40. His words give me something to do, a purpose to pursue. Jesus said they are the greatest commandments.
1.)
Love
God with all your heart and with all you soul and with all you mind.
2.)
Love
your neighbor as yourself.
It’s not just something that God
gave to me to do. It’s the two greatest
commandments. That is what I am supposed
to do every day. That gives me a
reason, a purpose to pursue every day, the rest of my life, however long it may be. I find when I really get busy doing those two
things my days take on a new meaning, a reason, a purpose. I can make a difference in the lives of others and I can
feel better about me, my life.
Yup, love God and love
people. That’s more than I can get done
in one day, so it will keep me busy today, tomorrow and all the days I have
left to live.
I have a purpose to live!
Having walked with you for many years, listening to your sermons, having many conversations over coffee, working with you on the radio program, I have seen your frustrations firsthand. However, I continue to marvel in your sensitivity, your wisdom, and your desire to follow God. Blessing to you as you share your heart, thoughts and frustrations. You are loving God and others even as you write. Emerson
ReplyDeleteI think this is so true!! No matter our limitations, these two things can be our priority.
ReplyDelete